Greetings and salutations
I'm writing to you, as I do every year at approximately this time,
I've been a
* More Diversity … in the content, in the characters, and in the writers: I know you're a fan of snowflakes, Big Guy, so how about some more variety? No two alike and all that.
* Less pigeonholing: You know that I know that you know NA is so much more than over-sexed YA. There are lots of NA books about aliens, and monster hunting, and action, and love, and frights out there. Threaten lumps of coal, VIP placement on the Naughty List, or hard time in the toy factory if you must, but can we get everyone on the same page about what NA actually is?
* A full-on, pop culture invasion: There's great New Adult-ish content flooding television, music, and movies right now. Shows like Arrow, Supernatural, Agents of Shield, New Girl, Mindy Project, and Girls are filled with NA characters and situations. Artist like Lana Del Rey and FUN are singing about NA themes. Even Hollywood is jumping on the NA train (Monsters University, Warm Bodies, 21 and Over, etc.).
But none of them are actually labeling it New Adult (yet)! Warning to Mrs. Clause: The first time a movie studio, television network, or musician directly references targeting "the New Adult audience", I'm going streaking through the North Pole.
* Less restraint: One of my favorite aspects of NA right now is its growing reputation as a place for bold, no-holds-barred storytelling. NA stretches beyond the boundaries of youthful inconsequence, but isn't yet limited by adult practicality. It's the perfect stomping ground for adventurous readers and authors.
Unfortunately, I'm not sure we're taking full advantage. So let's have more writers pushing the envelope, and more readers encouraging them to do so.
* More of what already makes NA so great: Yes, we could use even more swooning, drooling, nail-biting crushing, hair-raising, OMG-ing, fighting, loving, world saving, and adulthood defining moments.
What would you put on your New Adult wish list to Santa? Characters you want to see more of? Things you'd like to see less of? Non-NA authors you'd like to read an NA story from?
Let's hear it in the comments! Happy Holidays~